Ah! This is where I've wanted to be but can never get here because of so many other things pulling me. And then I realize I'm procrastinating on fb or other places because I don't want to work either.
We got back home a week ago from Camp meetings in North Dakota. I hadn't been there for almost 20 years. I found it interesting how they go on every year for years in the same way. They told us they have hosted the camp meetings there for 43 years. It's a small little Mennonite church in North Dakota that has been hosting these meetings. The meetings are in a tent now instead of a little chapel up on the hill. They still have the same campfire on the last night to sit around. They youth aged kids still play volleyball every moment they can. The kids under youth age found things to do like ride bike and play football and soccer and watch each other.
By Sunday night they weren't strangers anymore. My Keagan and Wendel and Lisa's Kaden are the same age and found out how much FUN they could have riding some girl's bikes down the hill and over the embankment IN THE DARK as FAST as they could. I still wonder if those bikes will ever be the same. Now and then they'd get thirsty and tired and go up to the kitchen where there were two young couples playing rook and eat their snacks. I guess they didn't mind sharing? .
I very much enjoyed the fun conversations and challenges my friends were brave enough to give me! One friend stepped on my toes with a small word of encouragement ( exactly what I needed to hear). Another friend reminded me about enjoying the moment and being thankful and not getting all messed up just because life isn't how we planned....but to live this moment now. It was just really nice seeing other couples learning together and parenting and keeping on.
 |
| Such fun talks with these two ladies...... |
 |
| six year olds...Kadens and Keagan |
 |
| Tired and happy after not much sleep and lots of talk. |
 |
| Aren't they such a nice couple?! |
On to other life thoughts. Watching the news and events going on. Ebola. Fights in other countries. Earthquakes. It all seems complicated and hard and unlovely. And then I open my Bible and read and again I'm reminded that God is sturdy and real and has it all under control. God has it. I don't need to figure it out. I do what's in front of me. Today it's teaching my kids the words of God from memory and learning to pray. And to be honest and responsible. And to notice the good we have NOW.
All the other stuff doesn't really really matter. It feels like it matters but it really doesn't . Encouraging people to keep on. Never minding that I can't be involved in functions around me because of my place in life . Someday my kids won't have fevers when everyone else is getting together for a fun or dutiful thing. Someday my windows won't get dirty in 30 seconds. It'll all come out. Right now I need to hug my kids and keep on being a keeper here.
AND hear ye!!!! I'm getting company again! This time it's Shilah and Bruce. We are preparing all week so we can thoroughly enjoy their visit. I'm getting all excited about an unhurried pace of life for two days. Ha Ha!
 |
| Aunt Brenda from Ohio stopped by to meet Jeanie. |
 |
| Dear Precious got out of bed with his baby doll to ask how many more sleeps till Bruce and Shilah will be here. |
 |
| All excited about fishing at grandpa's pond with the cousins. |
I discovered the other day that I have been striving for a certain thing or things. I never put it into words before but now I know what it is. I am striving and dreaming for an unhurried lifestyle. I dream of a relatively clean house that keeps itself. I think it's possible. By way of eliminating. On Saturday Matt backed the little pickup to the back door and we started on it. The basement got a thorough clearing out. And I have been striving to do that in all my life. I've eliminated baking for market. I baked for 13 summers. But I needed to stop. I needed to take care of my kids and my house and husband and friends. I dream of a house that keeps itself and functions practically and smoothly and comfortably. I dream of a swinging door..... People in and out all the time (which happens already. I love it.) I dream of teaching my kids to look out and reach out.....not just looking at our own possessions and life and being selfish. Being able to relax on the deck with a glass of tea in the summer with flowers blooming all about the place and birds singing in the big old trees shading me. I dream of this seven acre home working for us....a small orchard, a small bit of animals of every kind, a nice vegetable garden, and lots of flowers and birds. I dream of people feeling the stress leaving the minute they get here....a relaxing place of refreshment. I dream of our conversations to be that way too. A little heaven on earth. And it's possible I think.....it just takes a lot of wisdom and trust and sweet peace in Jesus....and staying sturdy. What's inside comes out in how we live. Challenge to me.....
 |
| Practicing an unhurried life....visiting grandpa while he checks his irrigation... |
 |
| riding side by side with them so the dust is behind us all..... |
 |
| Ah!!!! this is a special picture...Jeanie's being included out there in the field with her dad and grandpa. |
 |
| Enjoying my flowers... |
 |
| Summer. |
Comments
I love hosting people, but they won't get a 4 course meal here. You're lucky if you get dessert at my house. It would be SO good to see you again!