Skip to main content

Raspberry Pie

This is for you Mom....
Last Saturday evening I decided to make a raspberry pie for my boys.
In this house a raspberry pie is a HUGE thing! I don't make pies
very often and my husband and my little boys love pies! And I'm not
misusing the work Love here. They truly Love pies!
Anyhow, while I was making these pies Matt was away somewhere with
the boys helping his dad do something. So I had a quiet house and I made pies.
And since it was quiet I could think!!! And I started to remember the one
Saturday many years ago when I was a little girl and Mom made ME help
her make her Sunday Pies! I felt very pleased and it was so fun! I remember
how mom showed me the way you can make fancy crimps to the edges w/ just
my fingers and thumb! I thought that was fantastic! AND this was the best
pie I've ever tasted made like that! I mean made like mom made pies. Who
would've ever thought that when mom started dumping flour in a bowl and
taking a spatula and digging out lard and taking her fingers into the salt and
grabbing a pinch of salt and getting water, however much she felt like in a
normal drinking glass and maybe a dash of vinegar and making it all turn into
this amazing flaky crust???? Isn't that kind of amazing?
She did make good pies! And EVERY Saturday!!!!
Do the rest of the family remember Mom's farm Sunday dinners?
Saturdays were good ole fashioned cleaning and making feasts for Sunday
I remember all the black shoes by the register in the green dining room
all in a heap ready to be polished. That was a rather weird dumb job....I remember
thinking that. They were all big ugly black shoes anyhow! It was fun making swipes w/ the polish bottle and watching it dry though!
And I remember we ALWAYS had company EVERY Sunday! And the company
was any stray we could get to come eat w/ us. And we ALWAYS used china
on Sundays....if we tried to use our everyday stuff we had to put it back
and start all over.
And then the dishes for Sunday dinners were for us three girls to do. Mom would
airily get up from the table and tell the guest lady "oh don't worry about the dishes, the
girls will do them"! I sometimes thought how interesting it would be to see those
moms come help us. They never did that I remember. One really good thing from
having to dishes was to be able to go back to that corner in the kitchen where the people
visiting at the table couldn't see us and finish up all the good stuff....we'd dig for the juiciest
left over chicken pieces or steak pieces or April and I learned how to keep
the cake all even....the cake needed a straight edge you know...so we'd cut slivers off
to eat and then the next person had that excuse to have another bite....I still like
that theory!
So here's a picture of my pie making....and this part is for my other mom....
My mom never made old fashioned fruit pies when I was home that I remember.
But Mom Burkey does and they are the best....her crust is truly amazing too. And
Her pies are nasty good! At Christmas or Thanksgiving she makes these amazing RICH
delicious cream pies and a good old fashion fruit pie. So this raspberry pie is her recipe.


She makes her good crusts and sometimes freezes it for use later....
Then she has four cups of berries and some flour and some sugar and some
lemon juice and some water and it all gets thrown in the pie shell and a lid on
top and baked till it bubbles and then ten minutes more!


and here is the delicious result! Hers look much more
old fashion and her lids aren't whole lids but this is the idea
anyhow! And when this pie was sitting here ALL the boys
in this house really thought it should have been eaten right
then. I was cruel and make them wait for Sunday dinner.
And it didn't last long at this house. I shall have to make
pies again sometime so we get use to them around here
a little more often.....



This picture is just from me trying to figure
out my camera...


And this is for Ryan to see a more updated version.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Arla said…
Well, now that's some writing! I hope Mom doesn't come along and say she can't remember this. I certainly do! And it is STILL a wonder to me how those crusts turned out. There's no such thing as duplicating them. They were the best and that's flat. Uncle Dave judged it so, as well, one day when the Kauffmans had their own pie contest. Mom won hands down! first for the crust and then for the apples in there that kept their shape and tasted exactly right.
Keep trying though, Amy.
Rachel said…
Good morning!

the raspberry pie looks wonderful! I am sure your guys loved it..did you serve it with ice cream?

Aunt Rachel
On the Hill said…
Yes, I remember your moms Sunday dinners...on the farm! She not only made the most delicious chicken dinners, but also roast beef and steak ones. As a girl growing up at home roast beef was something to be endured, but I think I really started liking it at your home, and yeah, the apple pies were always the ending! And it was amazing how she would just throw it all together, and when I would ask for the recipe...it was like, um, what is that! I'm a bit like you...pies aren't my thing! Personally, I like the apple pies best with crumb topping, so I keep trying to convince myself that its better for us without the crust anyway, so I just put the apples in and then the crumbs on top 'apple crisp'! But yeah memories are nice and good, and if my children are going to have any...guess what...I'd better go get busy! By the way, your pie looks very nice, keep trying...maybe one day you will win the pie contest! The part about you girls doing the dishes...I always kinda felt bad...and by the way, I do remember helping with Sunday dishes, so you must not have quite did them all the time! Ha! I remember sneaking a bit of roast beef after it was all said and done! Guess confessions are good for the soul!! The thing I remember is how your mom sent you girls off to bed at 9:00, no if, ands or buts about it! I always kinda felt bad for you all when we were all there, and you wanted to stay up too! But thankfully you all grew up and I don't think you suffered too many permanent damages along the way! Ha!! ~Dena
Jenn said…
Amy, I hadn't checked here for awhile, you've been posting! Love to see bits of your life and thoughts. Mmm, that pie. So that's why you can throw things together and they taste so good without a recipe! :-) I'm getting better at that I think....!
Zerrick looks like such a big boy helping. I should show Giles. And your flower bed is looking charming, good for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....