Skip to main content

Stuff...

I've had lots floating through my head lately.  Here are some of those things:

The other day I was looking for a website that could fit me for a new net covering.  Our church requires the cap style covering and I need a new fit....I'm sick of looking like a slop.   So anyhow, I found this http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/head-covering-history.html site.  I found it very interesting.  So that's one thing I've been thinking about. 
    And then kind of along the same lines I recently read this: Did you ever study up on women who fought for women's rights and the whole issues that surrounded that time period. Women wearing pants in public was simply scandalous and they fought tooth and nail to have that "right", along with others. They won the battle so to speak or did they? Now women "wear the pants" in so many ways and that step out of God's order has just had devastating effects to our nation's families. I think with something like the pants versus skirt debate we have to look so much deeper than today and now
What was the progression from the Victorian style clothing to the clothing we see on the street? The difference is shocking only we are pretty much used to it by now.

Does the change have anything to do with women pushing their rights? I believe it does. I also believe it has alot to do with the loss of women covering their heads.

So lets contrast a time when women more or less dressed modestly and covered their heads in public and divorce was very rare, and the family unit was a mom and dad and children. Now immodesty is the norm, covering your head is only done by a few, submission is a byword, and the family unit of a mom and dad and children is just a nice thought. All in the space of a generation or two.

So why would we want to be part of that progression?

I guess I don't see the whole topic as a matter of technicalities, but rather the direction as a whole that it was part of, the spirit behind it. Can anybody truthfully say that God's spirit was behind that whole change to our nation?


So now that you've read all that....are you wondering WHAT is Amy thinking anyhow?!!!  Stuff that doesn't really need to be debated or worry my little head over I'm sure.  But I guess the thing that I'm thinking mostly about is that I signed in for this stuff.  I'm committed to this.  But do I really love what I do?  Do I believe it?  And if so WHY do I believe it?  So often it feels like we do what we do as Mennonites because it's what we know. But do I really really believe it to be the truth?  And am I willing to live in Obedience to these things out of my relationship with God or because I've explained it all over and over in my head and therefore I should do this thing?  I have some very valuable friends who don't believe that they should cover their heads and who don't see dressing appropriately means a skirt.  Those friends are living this earthly toil every day too and I know they are living their lives out for Christ to the best of their ability....So I'm not writing this to pick on them.  God's spirit can do that just fine.  What my challenge to myself is whether my life for Christ is a vibrant every day relationship with Him.  And back to covering my head or dressing plain....Please make my heart a beautiful heart that lives out these things from the inside out.  Just doing the right thing doesn't make it beautiful....but being the kind of women for God that has the spirit that these things stand for really matters.  I really think Satan is a deceiver and we women can get so easily stuck in the unsweetness mode....my tongue and my attitude and my willingness to stop thinking life is all about me. 

And along those lines..........I had a dream last night about me thinking life was all about ME.  And in my dream I was so certain that I was RIGHT.  And everyone else was WRONG and I threw myself a real baby fit!!!  When I woke up I was ever so glad it was just a dream!  But when I was really really  honest with myself,  I kind of had to admit that, that is how I really feel right now.  I'm so very tired of responsibility and 24/7 care of others....and I want to whine and let the world know that it's MY turn for a hot cup of coffee and a book.  And stop leaving a trail behind you Zerrick!  And Keagan just once needs to STOP crying cuz his sock is not on right!!!!  But I can't MAKE it stop...I can't make things go so smoothly....BUT I can watch that I don't go down this pity me baby fit ......so help me God!  The verse about setting a watch oh Lord before my mouth....keep the door of my lips is pretty important to me. 

Other things I've been thinking.....About fears.  I was reading in Romans.  And I was putting all these fears that have been overwhelming me in there and it was so amazing!  Let me show you....Romans 8: 10-16 .  It's talking about Christ in you.  And about what Spirit dwells in you.  And about who we are debtors to...(fears or trust in God in my case).  vs. 13 If we live after the flesh(fears) we shall die, but if we mortify(put away, get rid of these fears) we shall live.  So how do I do that?  For me I've been reminding myself of what's True, what's real.  My fears aren't real...they're baby postpartum induced!....So what's real?  The truth is I've been redeemed...God's spirit is working in me....I will not face anything that God hasn't already figured out the last detail to already....I don't have to face the future....I do just this moment, living out the joy of the Lord now.  That's all I have to worry about!  And then vs 15.  we have not received the spirit of bondage(slavery) again to FEAR....But we've received the spirit of adoption whereby we can call on the Father.  And believe me, I need to do that everyday!  One great grandmother told me once that indeed we are so frail that we even have to ask God to give us strength to serve Him!  Amen to that!
   So next time I post I want to share pictures of the boys' room and hopefully tell you the end of the mold series! :)  Oh and the latest treasure I found at et-cetra!



Comments

Jenn said…
Goody, I can feel a long phone call coming up! :-) You've re-stirred my thoughts....
Jenn said…
And you're a good thinker.... :-)
Wanda said…
It sounds like your kids are related to mine! I felt that grouchy stuff just yesterday. Grow up already, I tell myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....