Skip to main content

Things I'm pondering

So I was reading a discussion on a forum about Mother/Daughter relationships.  And I don't have any daughters so I can't epistlize on that too much.  But I am a daughter of a mother and so I can talk about it from that perspective!  A lot of the daughters were saying how their mothers were needy or easily offended and they can't hold conversation with their mothers and they love their mothers but they've had to set boundaries for their mothers.  I don't want to be rude but since when do we treat our mothers like children?  If the mother really has issues why would you lower yourself to the same childish level in that relationship?  I know I'm not experienced in this...I suppose I sound silly even talking about it..... 
     So on to what I was really going to say.  I was going to say that I don't recall ever having to set boundaries for my mom!  That thought makes me cackle!  She set plenty for me though!  :)
     So but anyhow, I feel like I have a nice relationship with my mom.  And I think this is the reason.  Mom didn't have problems with her identity.  She wasn't trying to forever figure out who she was.  She was fine with herself.  She had an ongoing relationship with God.  She was secure in knowing that she was redeemed through Christ.  She reads alot...so she was always feeding her mind and learning and growing.  She crochets, she quilts, she does puzzles.  That's brain exercise and good for a brain!  She always stays busy.  She always told me that busy people are happy people.  I'm finding that true, when I watch my boys everyday....they love a good scheduled day.  And relationships...Mom always has friends.  When I was a young girl at home I remember that there were other women in the church who relied on Mom .  She was confidential and listened well.  But yet she didn't believe in silence...she still says it's not good to hide in silence.  She also always told me the self pity is the devils tool....Something I tell my sons now.
   So back to relationships.  After thinking about all that I'm coming to the conclusion once again that good healthy relationships are outlooking...by that I mean this.  Good relationships happen when a person knows who they are in Christ.  When a person is complete in Christ and not in looking at themselves and their insecurities but putting all their issues under the blood and learning from there.  And I think this is easier typed than done! 
     So when my three year old tells me I'm a bad mommy it doesn't make me crawl in a hole and wonder what I need to do different so he likes me.....I've been redeemed and I don't need his approval!  K did that the other day....looks at me and says"  You're a bad mommy" with a deep scowl on his face.  For some reason I can't help but laugh at the silly guy....he's so little and cute and naughty.....but his dad won't let him talk like that.
   Which brings me to the other thing I've been pondering.  My boys' dad. The last two nights he's been getting up to help me with the sick baby.  And he's the one who can get the baby back to sleep.  My efforts are pretty worthless lately in that department.  So Matt's been taking over.  And then he goes to work the next day and does PR work all day.   He's a pretty nice guy. I'm really thankful for him.  I found all our old dating letters and cards the other day.  :)  That was interesting what ten years does to a relationship....talking about relationships again! 
    So you tell me...what makes a good relationship?  Since relationships are so much a part of life.....
    And now it's time for me to get some work done.  My list today includes:  Cleaning the garage(That will take awhile).   Baking cookies for market and other market preparations.   Putting the laundry through.  And keeping my kids from tearing the house and yard apart...keeping them working. :)    
    And we're getting overnight guests...at least I think we are!  So I must air out the guest quarters! :)  prissy tone of voice.....

Comments

Arla said…
That IS funny. Can you imagine "setting boundaries" for our mom? We would found out in hurry who sets boundaries and it wouldn't have been us! Thank God, for a wonderful mother who taught us to have some sense as well. I thank God for four wonderful daughters who bless me everyday. Has nothing to do with boundaries and everything to do with mutual love and respect. If anybody sets boundaries around here it is their dad just as it is for your boys.
I love your post, good thots! I hope I'm a mom like that to my girls, and it all starts pretty simple: relationship with Jesus, #1 ....

Don't stress out about your "overnite guests# ,just put em on the floor, and they r used to a big mess, miss prissy...ha
Anonymous said…
Pretty good AMy. Glad you like me anyhow and there were times I was and am not a good mom.With God's help I am still working on it and he is still working on me. It's pretty wonderful Matt not allowing Keagen to talk to his mom like that and getting up n ights! Whow! Love mom
marinj said…
Hey Amy. It's Marilyn. First of all, how are you? I enjoy your posts and this one sparked something in me and I had to talk out a little. :) Wow, I can't imagine having a mother that I couldn't hold a conversation with or one that I would feel like I need to set boundaries with. So thankful for what all my mother, and many other women in my life, have taught me about relationships. Also, I had to chuckle at you talking about your mom cause I can just hear her talking and seeing her bustling about her house doing things non-stop. She's such a dear woman and I love being with your parents when we're in Idaho. Hope your little boy feels better soon!
Whoops, I didn't know your getting company tonite...I was talking about us!
Luci said…
I love this post, Amy! I guess it really speaks to me because sometimes I feel like I'm still kind of needy and have 'issues' and I can't stand the thought of my daughters (or sons) having to tiptoe around me and be unable to talk things out because of my own baggage. I like how you talk of those things being under the blood. I think you are a no-nonsense person like your own mom.

And yes, you have a good husband. That's so cool when they help out like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....