Here is the recipe you were looking for at my house, Dena.
Cook together for 1 hr:
2 1/2 Gallon tomato juice
3-10 onions
4 green peppers
2T. crushed red pepper
Strain through Victoria Strainer.
Return to kettle and add:
1 Scant pint oil
2 T. basil
1 Cup sugar
1/2 gallon tomato paste
2T. oregano
1T. Italian seasoning
2T. Parsley
1/2 C salt
6 bay leaves
3 T. pizza seasoning
Cook together for 1 hr. Thicken to taste.
Cold pack for 10 minutes. Makes approx. 12 Quart.
So this year I'm going to try a few different ideas with this. April was telling me how she does her garlic in oil and then adds her diced tomatoes and basil and lets it simmer. This year I'm going to put in lots of garlic and do it in the oil like that first. Also I'm going to lessen some of that sugar and salt. And then simmer things till it's thick....maybe skip the paste? Also...my peppers are going to be Anaheim and jalapeno.!!! Won't this be fun! :) I'll do a batch of this recipe like usual too because I know we like it. But I have to play now and then to brighten my day.
And I just have to brag on my tomatoes! I got my plants from the people next to us at Market and they are fantastic! They're huge big nice Romas and they are perfect. . Nothing like making the work of canning into fun times. Now if the kids would just not fight and be responsible and fix their own lunch!!! :)
Cook together for 1 hr:
2 1/2 Gallon tomato juice
3-10 onions
4 green peppers
2T. crushed red pepper
Strain through Victoria Strainer.
Return to kettle and add:
1 Scant pint oil
2 T. basil
1 Cup sugar
1/2 gallon tomato paste
2T. oregano
1T. Italian seasoning
2T. Parsley
1/2 C salt
6 bay leaves
3 T. pizza seasoning
Cook together for 1 hr. Thicken to taste.
Cold pack for 10 minutes. Makes approx. 12 Quart.
So this year I'm going to try a few different ideas with this. April was telling me how she does her garlic in oil and then adds her diced tomatoes and basil and lets it simmer. This year I'm going to put in lots of garlic and do it in the oil like that first. Also I'm going to lessen some of that sugar and salt. And then simmer things till it's thick....maybe skip the paste? Also...my peppers are going to be Anaheim and jalapeno.!!! Won't this be fun! :) I'll do a batch of this recipe like usual too because I know we like it. But I have to play now and then to brighten my day.
And I just have to brag on my tomatoes! I got my plants from the people next to us at Market and they are fantastic! They're huge big nice Romas and they are perfect. . Nothing like making the work of canning into fun times. Now if the kids would just not fight and be responsible and fix their own lunch!!! :)
Comments
I love reading your blog. Your honesty and frankness inspires me to be more open and honest with myself and others. I love how brutally to-the-point you are on your blog (and just in general. :))
You're a great friend that I'm glad to have in my life.