Skip to main content

I Don't Have Answers After All....

Today after having a conversation with a friend,  I was reminded that I don't really know anything.  I had this really good deep thought and I thought I knew so much and then when I left and was thinking about it later I realized I was wrong. Even if it would appear that what I said was true, I still was wrong.  Not naughty gossippy wrong.  I just mean my thought wasn't completely thought through....and in the end it didn't come out.

Another thing I just discovered this week.  People see me completely different than I thought they did! That one has confused me all week!  I'm shocked and surprised. I don't know why I'm shocked.  I guess I"m pretty good at bluffing or pretending.  It's made me think that perhaps I had better look at that other person with much  more mercy and love and know without asking that God is refining them  too.  And then to make sure I freely give that smile or honest word.  People often aren't who we first see.

Someone asked me today, if it's possible to judge whether one has a pharisee attitude.  How do we really know? Jesus did.  He judged the pharisees.  After hearing the message given this morning, I wonder too. . Because, the things he talked about needed saying. But if one didn't know him it could have seemed pharisofical.  I conclude that when one is teaching absolutes to a generation of people fed on tolerance, his teaching could come across self righteous.  In the end I think I'll take the absolutes, BUT  in the process, I'll try to incorporate the love of my Jesus into my relationships.....because afterall, we're all very very needy.....and knowing I'm needy and knowing God gives me divine love and forgiveness and the get up and go.....I can therefore get down to being real with the needs around me.

So that was all written Sunday evening.  Sunday was a REALLY Big day if anyone wondered.  Sunday is NOT a day of rest among the Mennonites.  I'm sorry if the truth hurts but I've found I am NOT rested after our Sundays here.  Yes, we're not doing the normal jobs and work and such but  we are working!!!  It takes work to get up on a Sunday morning and get three boys through breakfast and into fine dress and buckled into the car all with charming faces and beautiful attitudes and wonderful sparkly smiles.  On top of that there's the whole thing where we think we need to have some fabulous meal to put onto the table the minute we get home from church.  If you can't understand the stress of that just know that I can!  Here's my  little secret.  I DON'T get those boys out the door with good attitudes and perfectly ironed clothes and the whole list.  And I DON'T get that fabulous meal done either.  Sometimes we eat leftover soup.   But last Sunday I was going to do a Chuck Roast and just when I was preparing it we got an invite to eat lunch with some friends....and to help them sing at the rest home.  So I got my break from making the fabulous meal but trust me....it wasn't a restful day.  A good day.  But not restful.  .  Sundays just aren't restful.....not if you live in my culture.
     And Sunday set the course for the rest of the week.  This week has been crazy crazy busy.  Monday, I had the "Monday house" thing going on here and two friends came to see me.  Fun and lots of talk.   Tues. I ran to Seward to get the baby his shots and home for naps and off to the babysitters.  And then I shopped and ate out with two dear friends.  Oh the talk and conversation that went on there! Good time and encouraging.  Wed.  grumpy grumpy boys.  Wow.  Today...everyone's finally relaxing and content to enjoy home and take naps and find their contentment spirit.  Tomorrow....weekend starting....where we get to do it all over again!  Did I make you tired?  Me too.
   
   So have a fine weekend................Amy


Comments

Arla said…
Yes, Sunday is hard work if you try to keep up with the status quo: nice meal, spiffy clothes, and a clean, sparkling house. I remember when I finally decided that the only way to get close was to work extra hard on Saturdays, which is what our mom always did and we helped, of course. I hated Saturdays. But I learned that the only way to make Sunday doable was to do that hated Saturday routine of cleaning and food prep. It is still a major feat around here to get off to church leaving a orderly house and clean bathrooms and kitchen. I just never figured out how mom does it.
On the Hill said…
I liked your blog...I had to smile as I read, with memories of home...a lot of times for Sun lunch we had hot dogs and pork n beans straight out of the can...warmed in a kettle of course! (and this was of course when there was no company, it was a different story entire if we had company) I never tried that on Ivan, but have made comments, and know better than to try it...so I'm not keeping up with anyone...just pleasing my man!! I used to do like Arla and make ahead some kind of dish to put in the oven to bake while we were at church. Now if I have some kind of meat to put in the oven, then either cook rice or noodles in the broth when we get home, and occasionally I even do mashed potatoes, but only because I have lots of 'help' now! When I do the mashed potato thing, I always have this guilty feeling, cause when Eric lived with us, I think he got tired of my 'cassarole' Sunday fare, and wondered why I never make mashed pot on Sundays. I shuddered inside and told him that I will never make mps on Sunday, cause lunch would never get ready!! So hang in there, life does eventually change!! And you know I think we get too caught up in trying to keep up to others standards...maybe I should do a blog on that one!!
Gina said…
I had to laugh about your view of Sundays. You are completely right! Yesterday we left the house at 8:30 a.m. and didn't get home until 9:00 at night! Thankfully not all Sundays are THAT crazy!

And I too keep my Sunday meals simple! We have soup or leftovers a lot! Even my company meals are super simple - sometimes a frozen casserole like lasagna out of the freezer.

Gina

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....