Skip to main content

Peppers and Ketchup

I'm not very original at all but I like when people allow me the pleasure of copying them.  I had all those hot peppers out there turning red and soggy.  They needed something done with them.  Gabe dehydrated his with good results.  So I figured I could too.  These ones were on the smoker for three hours or so and then dried the rest of the way in my oven.  We crushed them with my little pampered chef grinder.  The sneezing and coughing going on was rather amazing!  But it made some really  nice crushed pepper.  

This isn't really actually Hunts ketchup.  This is our homemade ketchup that Keagan diligently helped me with.  We are so far,very impressed with the results.   I went out yesterday morning and picked two big bowl fulls of ripe beautiful tomatoes.  We finally got them boiled down and through the strainer and then we drained them more through three layers of cheesecloth.  And that didn't even take long.  After that we ended up with 10 cups of thick tomato paste.
We added our seasonings and let it simmer in the crock pot for about 6 hours.  Then I added the clear jell  and boiled it. Then blended it in the blender to get it as smooth as possible.  After it was all done I tasted the Hunts along side this recipe and I could hardly tell the difference.  So I probably seem silly for making ketchup as though I don't have enough to do.  The reason I did it .....I have so many tomatoes and I have a son who likes a little hamburger or fries with his ketchup.  So we go through A LOT of ketchup.  And I'm always buying the kind without the corn syrup and cringing at the evils of ketchup.  So now we have ketchup filled with ingredients I know.  I ended up with 6 pints.

Recipe for Ketchup
(not the anyone wants it but I have it recorded for me now)

10 Cups fresh tomato paste
2 C. White vinegar
2 TBSP Garlic Pwd
3 TBSP Onion Pwd.
2 tsp. all spice.
1 TBSP salt
1/2 C. sugar
2TBSP molasses

Comments

Gina said…
Sure glad you included the recipe - because I would have asked! I never thought of making ketchup in the crockpot! What a great idea!
Gina
Jim said…
How much Clear-Jel?
amyjane30 said…
I saw I had missed that in the recipe. Sorry. I used 1/2 cup for this batch. Seemed to be about right.
Shilah Writes said…
Amy, I must say I am totally impressed. Looks perfect.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....