Skip to main content

Long Pine Camping

I wish I could remember all the fun things he says right now. He's pretty uninhibited and declares that people love him. Never mind if he loves them or not.  
Last week we ended our school week on Wednesday and packed up on Thursday for a little camping with just us at Long Pine, Nebraska.  We had just completed our first 25 days of school and the cold weather was on it's way.  So we decided to go...it would be now or never.  We pulled into our campsite when it was getting dark and made some chili soup and enjoyed a little campfire and then to bed.  The next morning was fabulous with the little stream gurgling right out side  the camper window.  The sun was shining and the air was nice and cool.  We dove into fishing and playing hard.  Mathias and Jeanie and I had a nice hike.  The boys fished.  Matt went and got some bait and we caught a nice bunch of fish for our supper. After supper we had a lovely hike except for Mathias ran into some sort of horrible cactus. By the next day we were already exhausted and then Mathias got one of his  fevers he's been getting too often lately. We did some tubing and more fishing and hiking and filled our day up anyhow but at bedtime we broke camp and drove off into the night toward home.  We had our hot coffee and our blankets and pillows and our last bag of chocolate chip cookies and we listened to the Huskers football game and drove!  By the time we got home it was 1:15 am and Mathias' fever was high.  So we tucked them all into their own beds and prayed Mathias' fever down and SLEPT.  It was all rather disappointing but we needed to be home early for some reason.   Maybe so I could go to church the next morning with just Jeanie and hear about running with patience and Looking to Jesus.  Maybe so Matt could make an amazing lunch for us and have some one on one with the boys? Who knows.  But Sunday turned out okay anyhow and today was slotted for vacation as well and so we are taking it.  Matt stayed home from work till 3pm and helped get the camper cleaned.  It is beautifully cleaned and scrubbed and ready for the next adventure.  So we had a nice vacation even if it wasn't as planned.  I put all the pictures in colleges so it wouldn't take so much scrolling!  If you click on it you can see it bigger.  

This guy is gaining confidence and happiness all the time.  I am so glad!  He took to the whole tubing and fishing and camping life better than anyone. Remember two years ago how pitiful skinny and grumpy he was? 

He's 11.  And so responsible and loves his school work.  He's on this ledge.  About to jump into man hood but still my little boy. 

And my Jeanie of course!  She was a trooper.  Except for at night.  But she loves being outside and loved that back pack! 

Little moments in time I wish I could freeze and pull out later to savor some more.  

So much beauty I wish I knew how to capture! And my little bit of eye candy for fall color.  

Comments

Shilah Writes said…
Aawwhh! That was amazing! I loved every word and all the pictures. It sounded almost dreamy, except for the fever. The last collage is breathtaking. I would make a canvas print of that too. :)
Kayla said…
Lovely photos Amy! I especially like that last collage. We left the fall colors behind for a week...

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....