This winter has actually been a very good winter. Just to make sure I clarify that after such a depressing title. We've had minimal sickness. And the darkness and tired have been mostly manageable. I feel very privileged and thankful.
But even so. The thoughts that go through my head in a winter day are real. And I suppose my head gets Cabin Fever Issues because of these months of school and every day all day being the same. I don't go out much. I don't see many people. It's just me and my four kids. Sometimes it's too many people. Sometimes it's not enough. It's cabin fever.
~I suppose the top of my pondering is the elections. I find myself awake at night rolling it over in my head. And then I get deep conviction type feelings that we need to PRAY like we've never prayed before. I usually stop the wandering of my imaginations right before I get to the part where I'm pretty certain my kids will see some very hard times in their future. I can't even go there. I'm not so afraid of it like I was four years ago when Obama was running for president though. I do wonder how well have I taught my kids to hang on tight to Jesus. How well have I put it in their heads that no one can take God from their hearts? I am quite certain that Trump, Sanders, and Hilary are all evil in their own manner. There is no fear of God for them. I keep thinking that Carson of course is a good godly man, and Rubio is married to one woman and has stated clearly that life begins at conception and marriage is between a man and a woman. Praise God for these two men saying those truths out loud. This is good.
Speaking of life. I also read Elsie Hoovers book about her breast cancer journey. The three sentences that were most impressionable in the whole book were the ones that stated that all that really matters when it all comes down, is our relationship with God, our marriage relationship and other people relationships. The whole book was real. And good. I think when people are faced with health issues, life gets real. The facades have to fall away and we have to get real in all our relationships. I say, lets do that now. Why wait? Take time for each other and each other's stories now.
My five year old son just made a card for me. He used his markers and drew hearts on it. After awhile he came back to me and asked if I liked his card. He was so pleased with it. I got to pull him up on to my lap and hug him for a long while and tell him how pleased I was about it. These are moments I treasure in my heart. THIS is what I mean about taking time now.
I've been reading a big big big thick book titled A Well Trained Mind . It's all about how a child's brain and schooling develops. It's so big and thick and this mom only has time for snitches at a time. But it's giving me such hope! For so long I've doubted my home school abilities and what if I'm not teaching my kids the right way? Or what if I'm not teaching them the right things? Or what will make them the most prepared for real life opportunities? This book clarifies what we're aiming for. And I've been deeply encouraged. I need my own copy to high light through.
I really think too in our schooling in this day and age we have to prepare our kids different than we were prepared. On top of all the good solid basic things we learned we also now need to be teaching how to use and manage technology. So I'm learning too. Thankfully there are good articles available to read and learn from. Having a son on the edge about ready for manhood, makes us even more aware. Channeling those boy's talents and interests is fun and good. Dear Lord, give us wisdom! :)
Lighter things. We ordered our seeds through the mail this year. I've gotten through layers and layers of neglected things around here and now we're going to learn to garden with the boys. This year we're going to try popcorn, among other fun things. I'm still trying to decide where to put it all on this 7 acres. But we'll figure it out.
What to do with my 2 year old girl. She loves her nap but she hates her wake up from nap time. And we've all learned to hate it too. She is just very unhappy for at least an hour after wards. I've tried every trick in the book and she simply has to get through it. These are the times parenting feels not very fun.
We just missed a Chanticleer concert this last week and have been sad about it ever since. Maybe we can find another adventure to go to soon. Our youth group gave us a couple gift cards to nearby restaurants for a thank you gift. Just going out for supper would maybe unfog this cabin fever brain. We are missing our youth group too, Although on Sunday we had two couples over for lunch with us and had a great time philosophizing with them! So we're not completely isolated. Winter can just make one feel like that. Oh, our annual soup supper was fun with lots of long conversation with girls I rarely get to talk to. So see! One needs to just remember to look and be grateful.
Comments