Skip to main content

Celebrating Fifteen Years

     Matt and I have been married for 15 years!  We thought about doing something exotic in celebration of 15 years but in the end going somewhere sunny or off to a ski resort seemed too far fetched for our stage of life..  Just because everyone else gets to go to sunny spots, we're okay with a get away to the big town close to us instead.  Turns out we had a pretty special time anyhow.  Besides, a week away from our kids seemed long. 
      We've been in an intense ten years of baby stage and littles.  So it was especially weird for us to be ALONE and hours and hours to be.  To be just us.  No seat belts to buckle.  No screams to jerk me back to reality.  This getaway was a huge gift.   


Feet up and just being.  No pressure.  It was amazing.  




Still trying to get use to being together again.  Hee hee!  I think he was actually talking to one of the kids.  

Eating and drinking fattening food and ignoring the condemnation.

Right outside of Starbucks.  Searching down the perfect coffeehouse turned into a nightly ritual.  It was a fun thing to do but we've kind of become coffee snobs and it wasn't as good as our own brew. :) 

He's mine.  It was awfully fun hanging out with him again!

We were the country mice peering at tall buildings and reaffirming out county mice world view! 

We even failed at selfies.  :) 


We found a gold mine.  It was dusty and musty and dirty and stacked to the ceiling with BOOKS.  I could've spent the day here.  And lots of money.  


At the end of a cold city walk up and down streets and in out of musty and strange and different stores we found a restaurant with really good food and french press coffee!  

We braved more windy cold April weather and wandered through part of  the Lauritzen Gardens.  It was a balm to my starved eyes.  Color!    



There was a model train town out among the trees at the gardens.  It was super cool!  We plan to take the boys back soon. 





Bananas in the tropical garden house.


At the old Union Train Station. Cool historical building. 

We walked the Kerry bridge to the state line. It was so windy and cold.  I held onto Matt for fear of flying off.  I felt like piglet and pooh.  I was just glad my sweater didn't unravel. 

    And that's the end of the pictures.  It was so sad to have to leave but reality is still here.  We got back to the kids at noon on Saturday and my baby girl ran to me and hugged me for 10 minutes.  She was fine the whole time I was gone but when I got back she kept looking at me and then hugging me again and again.  Blessed my heart so much.    Mom and Dad Burkey baby sat for us while we were gone and the kids loved it.  I know it was work for them and I am so thankful they were game for it.  Thanks so much!
        So I conclude, being married for 15 years is good.  All it takes is a lot of commitment, forgiveness, fun, and lots and lots of give and take.  And taking time to notice.  And a relationship with God to keep it together.   Matt and I aren't perfect.  We're probably a boring couple if we were to compare.   But we are blessed beyond measure.  Ready for the next 15 years.  It was good to get away, refocus and take time.  Time=Love .

Comments

Jenn said…
Looks like a wonderful, relaxing time...I am SO glad you got to do it! (PS I got some smoked almonds to take along on our get-away too! Guess I should get some chocolates to go along with them! :))
Shilah Writes said…
Amy, I want that greeny green leaf put into a canvas for my wall. It is gorgeous! Happy for your get away. Love you, Shilah

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....