Skip to main content

These Last School Days

These last days are the hardest.  Especially when it's so nice out.  I become the worst mom anywhere according to the third grader.  I get all overwhelmed with everything that has to happen in the next few weeks.   Filing. Reordering. Clearing my brain of anything school for the summer.  Letting the house go and ignoring what I really need to be doing.  Actually this is the time of year where I can't find my rhythm.  I can't remember what to do next.  I go to bed at night and lay there and remember that I was suppose to have done something and I think of  all the times I could have done them.....but I was probably sitting by a boy with a school book and schlurping coffee and wondering how to crank out some diy attitude in him.   
   I keep getting this attitude about why do I need school....and this is boring.....and whoever thought up the idea of  school.  Sucker that I am I launch into a long epistle about being prepared for life outside of our seven acres.  Eyes roll and the big guy drolls out that he could probably survive on his own.  He could too.  He knows lots of things.  He's almost ready to sprout wings and go out  and put his knowledge to work and gain some experience.   But slowly my son.....we have time.  Let's just take it one day at a time.   He still likes home and us quite a lot though.  He won't go too far.  He's a homing pigeon.
   The other three little humans need a healthy and wide awake mom to bring them through the next ten years.  I'm working on it.   Doing this at forty is different than doing it at 30.   I have more experience but lot less confidence. And lot less health.  Working on those things too.    My Bible says, "The LORD will be your confidence
and will keep your foot from being caught.".   Thank God for that. 

Comments

Deborah H said…
So your boys say things like that too??! Wonder how many times I've heard, "Who invented school, anyway?!" Whew, we're normal! I identify with all this soooo much! I needed this today.
On the Hill said…
Ha ha, gasp..must be the age...just last night my son came at 8 50...when his sposta be heading toward bed...wondering if I could help him study his science. Prior experience made me know it want going to be good! Sure enuff...so my lecture involved that I really didn't invent the curriculum n its all part of school...so he shoots back, well then I will just quit! Hopefully this stage will pass!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....