Skip to main content

What I Deserve

 Why are we so hard on ourselves?
We are our own best and harshest  judges.
We set expectations for ourselves and kick ourselves for not meeting them.
But we're  easy on ourselves as well.
We shrug and decide there's always another day.

But what about when someone else rips us apart?
Or tells us we're wrong?
Or is just plain cruel?
Do we take it?  
Do we believe it? 
Because we deserve it.

Where did this "I deserve this" stuff come from?
Really what do we deserve?  
Do we deserve to be hurt? 
Do we deserve to be loved?
Do we deserve to have someone care for us?
When someone reaches out and cares do we push them away because we are  wearing this "I don't deserve love" cloak?
If we take on life from "what I deserve" point of view are we really believing that we are new creatures in Christ?

The other day I watched someone tear into a whole group of people with words.  Some of the group hated it and some of the group were uncomfortable because it was so raw.  And some were incredibly hurt.  And It made me think about how we wear our "deserve" mentality.  And I think some of the group actually believed what was said to them about themselves.  They probably didn't want to but its there.  It took me a week or two before I realized that I actually forget what God says about me and I actually start to believe the negatives that come to me by way of just being human and living.  Life does this.  But.

There is a better way.  

Jesus says He is the way the Truth and the Life.  And God says to be renewed in our minds. 
And We are a His workmanship created in Christ Jesus.  We aren't what we think we deserve.  Jesus did all the things.  It's enough and finished and good.  So now what do we deserve?  

Anyone who calls on the Name of Lord shall be saved.
Ye are of God, little children, and have OVERCOME them.
Greater is He that is in you than, he that is in the world.
And.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of MERCIES and God of COMFORT.
Who comforts and encourages us in every trouble so that we 
WILL BE ABLE to comfort and encourage those who
are in any kind of trouble,
with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
2Cor.1:3,4

I guess, I'm beginning to understand that although perhaps we do deserve to be 
trashed, that, that isn't really what God had in mind when he set up this redemption plan through Jesus.  Now I can't look at my fellow human without realizing that we are just sinners saved by Grace.  Love is all I have left.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....