Skip to main content

Busyness part 2

        So I ended last post about what does God have to say about busyness.
    And now for practical thoughts on how to be calm in our souls even IF we're busy.  And maybe some practical tips.
    One lady who lived in a condo just down the street from the church her family/ parents/ grandparents had always gone to stated that she wonders if she might feel calmer is she went to a place of God where she could regain her perspective about her place in the world.  But she said, "There's just no time."   Obvious observation here is that we don't have time to not go to a place of worship and regain perspective.
     People that know there is a power greater than themselves, scientifically are better off emotionally and spiritually.  An office worker feels a burden to do it all and get it all right and if it's not it all falls back on him.  A farmer knows there is a higher power than him and his machines and if the crop gets hailed on it's not his fault.  He has a respect to a higher authority.
      Redeeming the time.  How I spend my day cost me something.  Time is something we don't get back.  So we get to choose. Redeeming also has the thought of buying up our opportunities.   Moments with your kids. Hearing what's on their mind.  That cup of coffee with your man.  Noticing the sunset.
     Make a schedule and routine but be flexible.  "Choosing to put family home and God before other things in your schedule will help to keep the balance."   If you implement your routine and you're still overwhelmed and stressed and running ragged to maintain it you have too much going on."  ( I wonder though if you put family home and God first if perhaps the things on your list won't maybe make more sense right away).
     Is there ever a time for play or  for rest?  Also, if all the things that you enjoy and find happiness in were taken from you would you still love Jesus?  From that perspective perhaps we put more security in our routine than in Jesus?
   What things about your day make you busy?  Practically speaking?  Are we spending too much time on Social Media?  Having the perfect house?  What about maybe spending a lot of time doing good deeds?
     I found this on Instagram via Phylicia Masonheimer this morning.   It really says what's next on my search to the end of busyness in my life and on to a richer and more clarified way of thinking.

The Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster is an excellent book on this topic, and he says: “Silence frees us from the need to control others. One reason we can hardly bear to remain silent is that it makes us feel so helpless. We are accustomed to relying upon words to manage and control others. A frantic stream of words flows from us in an attempt to straighten others out. We want so desperately for them to agree with us, to see things our way. We evaluate people, judge people, condemn people. We devour people with our words. Silence is one of the deepest Disciplines of the Spirit simply because it puts the stopper on that.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
When we become quiet enough to let go of people, we learn compassion for them.”

    And I'm not really sure why this quote struck a cord with me other than, I really believe that busyness is one of Satan's ways to keep us from God.  And Learning to be quiet and at peace puts me in a place to honor God with my time.  Buying up my opportunities to know God through the gifts he's given me rather than the loudness of buysness and ultimately when I'm so BUSY I'm not just being busy but being controlling.  
    So here's to my next study on learning what it means to be quiet!  Hehe!  My mom has been working on me about this since I was little.  Never give up Amy....maybe you can still learn something here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....