So today I took the boys over to Mom B's and came home and worked with Matt on getting all the stuff out of the boys' room. The information we've gathered along this mold journey is that this mold could be toxic. And how to know is expensive so we're just pretending it's the worst kind and trying to clean accordingly. So far the closet is sealed off with plastic and the intake vent is also sealed off. We've got the windows open and a fan blowing out.
But onto the emptying of the room! You should have seen the junk I went through. It's amazing to me that that room contained all that stuff. So the question keeps coming up....do we throw everything or is it possible to clean it? We've chosen to clean. I read somewhere that borax cleans laundry of mold and same for furnishing and toys and all that. So we put everything in plastic bags and trucked it outside. It was a coolish windy sunny day and we're hoping God's great out doors cleaned as good as anything . But we still washed EVERYTHING down with hot borax water. And the LAUNDRY! I washed plenty of things through today but there are still loads to go through tomorrow. I should just start a huge bonfire and eliminate a whole load of stuff.
After we had everything cleaned and laying in the wind and sun we came inside and vacuumed long and slow with my vacuum. We've purchased a hepa filter which is suppose to catch as little as .3 of a micron dust and mold particles. A mold particle is 1 micron. So we will keep vacuuming and vacuuming and vacuuming and hopefully trapping all that stuff. Also we have an air purifier going steady in the main part of the house....we're thinking we ought to get more for the rest of the rooms. So our plan of action has been to trap anything floating about the air and in the carpet and to clean out the toys and laundry and furnishings.
And then next week hopefully we can get the guys who know what to do out here to rip out the source of the issue. The area is contained and now they can work away. And when that's all gutted out and re fixed we need to have you come, Marj and sniff the place out! I'm just really hoping hoping we don't have to fight this mold thing for years.
And I guess the ultimate thing we're doing is praying. Praying that God would remove the stuff from our house and please give us the knowledge to know how to fix the issue.
And the lifter of my spirits today was Mom B! This evening when my mountain of laundry was stacked way high she called and asked if I needed any help. It was the part of the evening where Mathias gets all fussy and the boys are getting rowdy and I was really glad for the help. I threw together a pizza for our supper and then after we ate Matt and Mom and Zerrick all got that mountain of laundry folded and put away! And I cleaned up the kitchen and held that fussy baby. It felt like a tremendous burden went rolling away when that stuff all got put away. So thanks Mom. We're so glad you guys are home again for a little! Selfish us! :)
So we wonder if we're taking care of this right but I feel so happy to have gotten things cleaned out this much. And the facts are, Keagan is much healthier than last week and hopefully another week of living in better conditions will clear up the rest of his issues. If you remember pray for the health of our boys...they've all been affected in some ways by this mold health wise. And that's why I get so fearful and down in the dumps about this whole mold thing. And I forgot to say too that last week I had a girl come help me get my basement ready for guests and catch me up upstairs. So my house is livable again. How will I ever thank all the people who've been helping me?
And my overnight guests will be here on Monday eve! Anyone wanna guess who it will be? Can't wait!
But onto the emptying of the room! You should have seen the junk I went through. It's amazing to me that that room contained all that stuff. So the question keeps coming up....do we throw everything or is it possible to clean it? We've chosen to clean. I read somewhere that borax cleans laundry of mold and same for furnishing and toys and all that. So we put everything in plastic bags and trucked it outside. It was a coolish windy sunny day and we're hoping God's great out doors cleaned as good as anything . But we still washed EVERYTHING down with hot borax water. And the LAUNDRY! I washed plenty of things through today but there are still loads to go through tomorrow. I should just start a huge bonfire and eliminate a whole load of stuff.
After we had everything cleaned and laying in the wind and sun we came inside and vacuumed long and slow with my vacuum. We've purchased a hepa filter which is suppose to catch as little as .3 of a micron dust and mold particles. A mold particle is 1 micron. So we will keep vacuuming and vacuuming and vacuuming and hopefully trapping all that stuff. Also we have an air purifier going steady in the main part of the house....we're thinking we ought to get more for the rest of the rooms. So our plan of action has been to trap anything floating about the air and in the carpet and to clean out the toys and laundry and furnishings.
And then next week hopefully we can get the guys who know what to do out here to rip out the source of the issue. The area is contained and now they can work away. And when that's all gutted out and re fixed we need to have you come, Marj and sniff the place out! I'm just really hoping hoping we don't have to fight this mold thing for years.
And I guess the ultimate thing we're doing is praying. Praying that God would remove the stuff from our house and please give us the knowledge to know how to fix the issue.
And the lifter of my spirits today was Mom B! This evening when my mountain of laundry was stacked way high she called and asked if I needed any help. It was the part of the evening where Mathias gets all fussy and the boys are getting rowdy and I was really glad for the help. I threw together a pizza for our supper and then after we ate Matt and Mom and Zerrick all got that mountain of laundry folded and put away! And I cleaned up the kitchen and held that fussy baby. It felt like a tremendous burden went rolling away when that stuff all got put away. So thanks Mom. We're so glad you guys are home again for a little! Selfish us! :)
So we wonder if we're taking care of this right but I feel so happy to have gotten things cleaned out this much. And the facts are, Keagan is much healthier than last week and hopefully another week of living in better conditions will clear up the rest of his issues. If you remember pray for the health of our boys...they've all been affected in some ways by this mold health wise. And that's why I get so fearful and down in the dumps about this whole mold thing. And I forgot to say too that last week I had a girl come help me get my basement ready for guests and catch me up upstairs. So my house is livable again. How will I ever thank all the people who've been helping me?
And my overnight guests will be here on Monday eve! Anyone wanna guess who it will be? Can't wait!
Comments
A mold-sniffing trip to Nebraska would be fun! :)