Skip to main content

Happy Anniversary to us!!!



Matt and I have been married ten years!  I wish I were a writer so that I could put into words all the sentimental and precious things that I could say! But I'm not so I will just put a few pictures on here that bring nostolgic feelings and lots of reflecting and praise to God.    


Whenever people wonder how Matt and I met we both kind of look at each other and not really can pinpoit a time.  Matt says Mike introduced him to me at MBS '94.  I kind of faintly remember that but not like Matt did.  Because in '97 I saw him again at SMBI and he remembered me AND my birthdate and I couldn't figure out how he knew so much about me.  The real time we met was at SMBI 2000 and Matt got there late for the term and I thought he was rather arrogant and getting off too easy on stuff...like at roll call he wasn't even called on!  He was too much of an oldie there I guess.  And I was the scared little newbie.  For some odd reason when ever I saw him on and off over the years I had a very big desire to avoid and disappear.  He scared me badly.  And I really don't know why.  God was pointing him out to me I suppose.  And he was from Nebraska of all places! :)  But the term at SMBI was the starting point.  I remember how God had worked so much in my life the year before and  I was learning  things I needed for the man God was preparing for me.  I remember at SMBI in class one morning it was really vivid in my mind....I was thinking about how Matt was becoming a very good friend and how I was trying to guard my heart.  And I wrote a prayer down in my little brown notebook...." Dear God, please don't let Matt ask me out UNLESS he is the man I'm suppose to marry."  I remember thinking , oh boy, now if he does ask me out then that's who I will marry....and I got the chills and I thought how scary that'd be and I wanted to reverse that prayer.  But then I remembered what a gift his friendship was and that I could be okay and practical.    And so the term ended and Matt was taking me home.  So on the way home we talked it all out.   Well, first he asked if we should talk about our relationship.  SCARY. :)  But as you can see our 10 hour travel went just fine....Dad said he was okay for me and we did the whole long distance dating thing.....lots of good memories...

So as you can see...We got married! :)  And it's been perfect ever after!  That's what fairy tales are suppose to say right?   Well but we don't have a fairy tale life and I am glad.  I found out later that the name Matthew means gift of God.  Isn't that funny?  Our friendship is such a good good gift.  But we are a normal couple too.  So we don't have it picture perfect.  I hope our marriage keeps on balancing us out and helping us grow in our love and our love for God.    I could tell you all the struggle and arguments and tough times but I've found that being thankful and looking out for the good is what makes a marriage sweet.  And of course I need more practice at that. 
We took a little honeymoon through Leavenworth, WA and then out to the Oregon coast.  Not too outrageous or different but nice.    And I didn't scan any pictures in of our first little cozy home and all that stuff.  But we came home to a brown windy April Nebraska and settled in to life.  And all the moments and sweet times and hard times have added up to ten years of marriage to the best gift of God that I could ever get for a husband!        Thank you God! 

Comments

Arla said…
Happy Anniversary, Matt and Amy. You said it all so well. It's not about perfection but focusing on the good things and learning from the imperfections, too.
Charlotte said…
And Happy Anniversary to you!! :)
Jenn said…
Awww, good post. So real and so you! And I still get a happy little feeling when I think of how I had a front row seat to watching it all get started! :-) Happy #10 and may God grant you many, many more!!
Shilah Writes said…
How nice and sappy Amy, BTW, you are a writer. I like your style. Happy Anniversary! Love you, Shilah
Judy said…
Happy anniversary!! btw i do read all your blogs and enjoy them a lot.
Wanda said…
Aww! I missed out on that part of your life...but it sounds sweet and special! Happy anniversary!
Evie said…
I remember, I think you are lucky, crying for the preciousness of it all. It was good for you to write it down and post it. Love you two.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....