I've been thinking about prayer. There is so much I don't know about it.
I wonder is prayer more effective when it is spoken out loud?
Is God hearing my prayers when it seems all the answers are no?
Does prayer really make the thing better or does it just help to have that outlet?
I know I'm sounding pessimistic. Sometimes in the night when I've spent hours up with the boys I get to wondering these things.
Does it make a difference to God about WHO'S doing the praying? Because sometimes it seems like Matt has a special hearing with God that moves things..
..Does the amount of trust and faith make a difference? If so can trust and faith be built or does experience bring those things?
Someone said not too long ago that we Americans are too casual in our relationship to God. Does that include our prayer life too?
Is prayer a state of being or a state of doing?
Do you ever NOT pray about something because you're scared of the turn out or that the answer will be no anyhow?
Its not that I don't believe in prayer. I just feel so weak and unpracticed. And then it can be scary too....wondering if I'm strong enough for whatever or however God chooses to move.
I think it would be interesting to hear what you know about prayer.....
I wonder is prayer more effective when it is spoken out loud?
Is God hearing my prayers when it seems all the answers are no?
Does prayer really make the thing better or does it just help to have that outlet?
I know I'm sounding pessimistic. Sometimes in the night when I've spent hours up with the boys I get to wondering these things.
Does it make a difference to God about WHO'S doing the praying? Because sometimes it seems like Matt has a special hearing with God that moves things..
..Does the amount of trust and faith make a difference? If so can trust and faith be built or does experience bring those things?
Someone said not too long ago that we Americans are too casual in our relationship to God. Does that include our prayer life too?
Is prayer a state of being or a state of doing?
Do you ever NOT pray about something because you're scared of the turn out or that the answer will be no anyhow?
Its not that I don't believe in prayer. I just feel so weak and unpracticed. And then it can be scary too....wondering if I'm strong enough for whatever or however God chooses to move.
I think it would be interesting to hear what you know about prayer.....
Comments
But yeah, in my days of praying that the baby would please sleep really good tonight, sometimes I wondered if it was better to just expect a bad night rather then praying and sort of expecting God to fix it, and then being disappointed when I still had a bad night. I mean God I even PRAYED about it, so surely I deserve to have a good night...
I've had so many of the same questions about prayer and I really wish I knew the answers. One thing I think is that God is a place to unload our troubles, even though it feels like there are no answers. Somewhere I read that you should visualize yourself actually giving your burdens into the hands of God and I like that.
I pray for things like a good night's sleep too---and feel like I really should get it because I PRAYED....and I don't. :) But think how much harder it is to accept when you pray that your child will be healed of cancer and they aren't. But sleep seems so NEEDED sometimes!!
I wonder about the casualness of my prayer life too.....
And I was reading some of your other posts, too, Amy. You're tired and I'm sorry. Soooo know the feeling. I hope that changes for you soon and your boys start to sleep better. Prayers and sympathy.....!!
I think about prayer too.
1. You ask if prayer is more effective if spoken out loud? I
personally think praying out loud is more effective because you can
keep your mind on what you are saying.
2. Does God hear when it seems all the answers are no? I think God
hears every prayer. Sometimes the answer is wait; sometimes the
answer is yes, even when I have not perceived it. Yes, sometimes the
answer is no.
3. Does prayer help? Yes, prayer does help! It is always a good outlet.
4.When you are up at night it might be very helpful to pray out loud;
it may be a real comfort to the boys and maybe even to Matt.
5. God loves us all. it does not make a difference with God. It may
make a difference in the faith and trust of the one praying. This
can be obtained by building in faith and trust and also experience.
6. On being too casual. Yes, we need to be up front with our
prayers. Say like it is. I pray and talk to God about some things
that I'm not going to talk to anybody else about. In reality God is
the most understanding friend I have. Go ahead, just have a 'Little
Talk With Jesus".
7. Is prayer a state of being or a state of doing? Both. The Bible
say, 'pray without ceasing."
8. Do you ever not pray about something because you're scared of the
turn out? I'm tempted to do that but go ahead anyway; it could bless
your soul.
9. It isn't that I don't believe in prayer; I just feel so weak! Now
is the time to pour it all out to God for in your being weak you will
become strong.
Amy, I just want you to know that this email is an answer to prayer.
I am going to use this for devotions Sunday morning. Keep praying
for me.
Love Dad 11 Peter 1:2-8