There is a big pile of of work in this house to get caught up on. The kids are tucked in for naps and the other wild child is down at his desk finishing his school work. So the work will pile up a little longer, as I have ten minutes of quiet to write.
We've been sick so much this winter. As has every one else. But especially our Keagan has been sick. He has been so white and circles under his eyes and poor digestion for so long. We finally had him to see our family doctor last week and she ordered some celiac blood work to be done. The results from that have been confusing. I wish for a doctor to nicely tell us what they mean and not this hedging stuff and shipping us off to a specialist in 6 weeks. 6 weeks is a long time when your five year old is in pain and generally not feeling well. I got her to tell me the name of the one test that came back positive and I have been learning. But I have such a struggle because so many web sites are hocus pocus. And I'm not smart enough to know if I am reading the real deal or if I'm getting opinions. It's all not very nice.
And on this whole search for answers I come upon all these great ideas for a healthy pantry for my kids. But what kinds of foods is safe for my kids? And in our culture how am I suppose to hold my kids to some "safe and perfect" standard of eating if I want them out there changing our world? I have found that a lot of people are indeed trying to eat just right and be so healthy because they can and can afford it. But it's a whole different game if your kid has celiac and you're trying to be healthy because you HAVE to be. But it all just doesn't come out. How am I suppose to cover all the bases for my child and keep him out of pain by just what he's eating or not eating! Can't I build his system up and get his intestines healed up properly so that if he does happen to get a crumb of gluten it won't send him over the edge? Do I really really have to change our whole life style? Ya, and tell me about GMO food . How much truth is there in that theory? There must be something going on somewhere that is triggering all these new auto immune diseases. But really? GMO's?
It's just true we live in a fallen world and divers diseases and strange things are happening more and more. I'm following a blogger who is posting a series on finding God's peace in this whole health food maze. I'm anxiously awaiting each post. Hoping she comes out with some serious encouragement and practicality, because we so badly need that kind of information out there.
I'm finding it very complex in the balance of it all. Most important is that I have a child who is intelligent and can be helped to stay healthy. I am very thankful he's not in more pain or that he's not an invalid. And in my priorities I want to keep them straight.....his salvation and growing up to live for God is the most important.
Another thing that is important to me is to not let him make a celiac diagnoses wreck his life. He's not a victim of anything. He's gifted and designed by God and he needs to make himself available to God as he grows older.....not pitying ourselves here...... That's important to me.
So I'm tired of reading on this subject. I'm tired of this subject. Period. I'm especially tired of thinking up meals without gluten. I didn't realize how much I was falling back on bread to make a quick lunch. Now we get to learn how to eat differently. Everyone knows I love the kitchen and baking. There goes all my fun! It will be fun learning how to cook better. But I do so miss the baking. Maybe our scales will show nice numbers if we can't have glutenized food! I know I can make all kinds of good gluten free goodies too. And they're good too. But now I know from all my reading that eventually it all catches up to you and meat and tators are probably our best bet. How many ways can one make potatoes anyhow? And hamburger?
Oh and by the way! I made an awesome chicken breast meal the other night! It was amazing! It was chicken breast cut into strips and laid out in a 9x9. I put a little olive oil over them and sprinkled them with garlic/herb Dash and some salt. Broiled them till almost done and sprinkled some grated Parmesan cheese over the top and some chives. Broiled a bit longer and served them hot with a baked Yukon gold potato! That was a fabulous meal! You're welcome. :)
So I wrote this for a few of you wondering what's been going on. We don't have answers...we're still learning and waiting.
We've been sick so much this winter. As has every one else. But especially our Keagan has been sick. He has been so white and circles under his eyes and poor digestion for so long. We finally had him to see our family doctor last week and she ordered some celiac blood work to be done. The results from that have been confusing. I wish for a doctor to nicely tell us what they mean and not this hedging stuff and shipping us off to a specialist in 6 weeks. 6 weeks is a long time when your five year old is in pain and generally not feeling well. I got her to tell me the name of the one test that came back positive and I have been learning. But I have such a struggle because so many web sites are hocus pocus. And I'm not smart enough to know if I am reading the real deal or if I'm getting opinions. It's all not very nice.
And on this whole search for answers I come upon all these great ideas for a healthy pantry for my kids. But what kinds of foods is safe for my kids? And in our culture how am I suppose to hold my kids to some "safe and perfect" standard of eating if I want them out there changing our world? I have found that a lot of people are indeed trying to eat just right and be so healthy because they can and can afford it. But it's a whole different game if your kid has celiac and you're trying to be healthy because you HAVE to be. But it all just doesn't come out. How am I suppose to cover all the bases for my child and keep him out of pain by just what he's eating or not eating! Can't I build his system up and get his intestines healed up properly so that if he does happen to get a crumb of gluten it won't send him over the edge? Do I really really have to change our whole life style? Ya, and tell me about GMO food . How much truth is there in that theory? There must be something going on somewhere that is triggering all these new auto immune diseases. But really? GMO's?
It's just true we live in a fallen world and divers diseases and strange things are happening more and more. I'm following a blogger who is posting a series on finding God's peace in this whole health food maze. I'm anxiously awaiting each post. Hoping she comes out with some serious encouragement and practicality, because we so badly need that kind of information out there.
I'm finding it very complex in the balance of it all. Most important is that I have a child who is intelligent and can be helped to stay healthy. I am very thankful he's not in more pain or that he's not an invalid. And in my priorities I want to keep them straight.....his salvation and growing up to live for God is the most important.
Another thing that is important to me is to not let him make a celiac diagnoses wreck his life. He's not a victim of anything. He's gifted and designed by God and he needs to make himself available to God as he grows older.....not pitying ourselves here...... That's important to me.
So I'm tired of reading on this subject. I'm tired of this subject. Period. I'm especially tired of thinking up meals without gluten. I didn't realize how much I was falling back on bread to make a quick lunch. Now we get to learn how to eat differently. Everyone knows I love the kitchen and baking. There goes all my fun! It will be fun learning how to cook better. But I do so miss the baking. Maybe our scales will show nice numbers if we can't have glutenized food! I know I can make all kinds of good gluten free goodies too. And they're good too. But now I know from all my reading that eventually it all catches up to you and meat and tators are probably our best bet. How many ways can one make potatoes anyhow? And hamburger?
Oh and by the way! I made an awesome chicken breast meal the other night! It was amazing! It was chicken breast cut into strips and laid out in a 9x9. I put a little olive oil over them and sprinkled them with garlic/herb Dash and some salt. Broiled them till almost done and sprinkled some grated Parmesan cheese over the top and some chives. Broiled a bit longer and served them hot with a baked Yukon gold potato! That was a fabulous meal! You're welcome. :)
So I wrote this for a few of you wondering what's been going on. We don't have answers...we're still learning and waiting.
Comments
I'm afraid I don't have as many answers as I wish I did, but I do know who does have the answers and for me it has been a challenge to wait on the Lord and not demand answers.
Blessings to you today.
Gina