After studying Hezekiah for two Sundays. Hezekiah gets painted as a bad guy. I've finally figured out why. (my opinions only here) He became king at 26 or so and he turned the nation of Israel totally around. He said he was going do all those good things in order to turn the wrath of God away from his nation. And it worked. Because God keeps his promises.
God made a covenant with the nation of Israel earlier, that if they would keep his commandments and ect. He would do good for them and long life and a number of promises. Hezekiah knew that and decided to make good on that deal. So Hezekiah walked perfectly and kept all of God's commandments.
And then he got sick. And Isaiah was the prophet who told him he wasn't going to make it. So Hezekiah reminded God of how he had walked perfectly and God said okay then I won't let you die I'll give you 15 more years but I'm doing this because I keep my promises and because of David. But it isn't for you Hezikiah.
All this to say......I think Hezekiah had a sweet little deal with God that he took advantage of for his own little comfort and safety. But I can't find anywhere that he had a deep abiding love and passion for the Lord. He did what he did for his own comfort for his time in his nation. And that's why he comes out the bad guy. He wasn't necessarily a bad guy....He was just weak hearted and controlling. I'm finding that I can see how easy it would be to be in his shoes.
David was a man after God's own heart and he wasn't nearly as "good". David is looked upon as a good guy! In our boxing matters up in life I find it interesting that we've got Hezekiah out to be the bad guy and David is the good one.
My conclusion is that serving the Lord for our own comfort doesn't hurt anything but Serving God and repenting wholeheartedly and having a LOVE for God and living every day as a gift from God for HIS glory goes a lot further. And It's a lot messier and scarier. But I think that's where we want to be. So dive in everyone......fully immerse yourself in God. Be fully joyful. Be fully repentant. Be fully obedient. Our times are in God's hands anyhow.....so stop dodging arrows.....God's got it. It's kind of scary isn't it. But comparing David and Hezekiah I'm pretty sure Davids's messy life brought more glory to God.......
God made a covenant with the nation of Israel earlier, that if they would keep his commandments and ect. He would do good for them and long life and a number of promises. Hezekiah knew that and decided to make good on that deal. So Hezekiah walked perfectly and kept all of God's commandments.
And then he got sick. And Isaiah was the prophet who told him he wasn't going to make it. So Hezekiah reminded God of how he had walked perfectly and God said okay then I won't let you die I'll give you 15 more years but I'm doing this because I keep my promises and because of David. But it isn't for you Hezikiah.
All this to say......I think Hezekiah had a sweet little deal with God that he took advantage of for his own little comfort and safety. But I can't find anywhere that he had a deep abiding love and passion for the Lord. He did what he did for his own comfort for his time in his nation. And that's why he comes out the bad guy. He wasn't necessarily a bad guy....He was just weak hearted and controlling. I'm finding that I can see how easy it would be to be in his shoes.
David was a man after God's own heart and he wasn't nearly as "good". David is looked upon as a good guy! In our boxing matters up in life I find it interesting that we've got Hezekiah out to be the bad guy and David is the good one.
My conclusion is that serving the Lord for our own comfort doesn't hurt anything but Serving God and repenting wholeheartedly and having a LOVE for God and living every day as a gift from God for HIS glory goes a lot further. And It's a lot messier and scarier. But I think that's where we want to be. So dive in everyone......fully immerse yourself in God. Be fully joyful. Be fully repentant. Be fully obedient. Our times are in God's hands anyhow.....so stop dodging arrows.....God's got it. It's kind of scary isn't it. But comparing David and Hezekiah I'm pretty sure Davids's messy life brought more glory to God.......
Comments