Skip to main content

School 2016-2017 and Little List for Encouragement.

And so it begins!  School August 1, 2016!   So not ready for this but obviously the kids were ready.  They got down there on Monday morning raring to go.  I had to dig through the boxes and the equipment and organize and set up.  And the whole time, I was doing that in my head too.  So this morning found us finally getting more in rhythm.  Bible memorization for the year picked out and started.  Schedule made up and posted.  A few more misc items purchased and ordered.  
He brings me his books and demands I tell him what to do.  So this morning after hanging out wash I was giving his Bible lesson on the deck. 
And we finally made it down to the desks to study.  
Did you ever notice with the pictures I take of her how they are usually a blur like this.  She won't sit still!
Basement school room. 
Pens and pencils and ect organized for the moment.  Just had to take a picture. 
He's so eager to learn.  If I can just keep him in that attitude! 
Enjoying his own space and world.  I love this. 


Teacher books and keys .....
He has no idea how spoiled he is.  Studying with his favorite blanket....



 And so begins another year.

      Something that's been going in my head.  All you mothers that talk about being so busy and how hard it is to parent and ect.  I agree.  I understand.  But I want to say something for the mothers who don't get to send their kids off to school.    You are doing a constant 24/7 job.  There are no vacations for you.  And that is big.  So when your friends all talk about what they got done in a day and how they were able to zone in on their projects and how they went shopping for groceries with just the baby and how they went to a ladies bible study or whatever,  I just want you to know it's legal to feel like crying.  Especially, when you've missed one more fun thing because of your choice to home school.  
     But,  you're doing a good thing.  You're investing in their lives and you know what's going into their heads and hearts.  And you get to hear and see how their character is developing.  Yes, and that's part of what's so scary about this whole business too.  And it's so super exhausting. 
      I just want to write all this down because I know how it all goes on and on and on unnoticed sometimes.  And it feels so lonely and hard.  And it really helps for someone to notice and say a word of encouragement.  So I'm noticing you all.  Because I'm shoving on....and I get tired and lonely too.  And scared. And I want you to be able to go on and not get too weary.  And hey, lets hang out sometime!  Ha!  Oh wait.  I home school.  I'm just here plugging along.  

   But here's a list of ideas for when the going gets too much:

~Breathe
~Pray....the on your face before God kind.
~Open your bible App and read.  God always comes through with a needed truth.
~Remember your worth isn't in your perfection or performance or your outings with friends but in your relationship with God.
~Go outside.....and pick flowers or listen for the birds....or take a walk.....just get 15 minutes if you can.
~Be interested in the other person.
~Find a good book to grow your brain with.
~Do something spontaneous....do a quick run to DQ or something with the whole tribe.
~Do a quit clean up of the whole living area and light a candle.
~Smile and play Pollyanna for a little bit. 
~Call your mom or most trusted cry on your shoulder person. And cry.
~Soak your feet while the kids are running everywhere.  Last time Jeanie got into the spirit of it and washed my feet. 
~Turn off the negative and only think on the good.  Phil. 4 :8 


And I'm off.  God bless.  


~
      

Comments

Wanda said…
I love this Amy. As I face my 9th year of hs, I have reflected so much....and remember especially the early, lonely years...(still can be). And I am realizing over and over again, that EVERY SACRIFICE IS WORTH IT!! Having a relationship with my child was worth every sacrifice.

Wishing you the very best this school year!
Anonymous said…
Way to go, Amy! Love this post. Dawn Harshbarger
Anonymous said…
What you said. So good. And I love seeing the pictures of your space and your diligent little learners! We haven't started yet. Next week I hope. I'm trying to remember to breathe and not stress because we havent. It will be ok!

Deborah
Gina said…
Thanks so much Amy! I need to hear words of encouragement like this. So far our school year is going SO much better than last year - but we've only just begun - and last year was a really tough year. But it is worth it. Thanks for the reminder.
Gina

Popular posts from this blog

In My Worship Place

Last time I posted I mentioned being in a quiet spot.      It's curious to me how one can be in a quiet spot internally but super busy externally and then be in a quiet season externally but Internally be in a season of seeking and crying and lonely.      Zerrick and Susanna's reception in our yard is over and my many siblings showing up for us was a cherry on top.   It felt like a relaxed good reception and I spent most of it watching people and listening in on little groups of chatter.      And then the twelve hours with my siblings on Saturday.  God worked it out so I could have tiny little snitches of chat that I could be assured that I got the most of the gift of them even being here.        We all stood around and prayed and cried and sobbed together for a short time before Bruce's left.  Healing.  I still feel emotional about it.  And now it's qu...

A few things...

Okay, I have a whole pile of pictures I'm going to post one of these days. In the mean time....a few more questions to add to my last post.... 1. What do people mean when they say things like, " He/she spoke peace/ blessing/ love/truth or whatever into my heart? How does one get truth spoke into ones heart by another person? Okay, now I expect to hear someone defend themselves for saying this or else clarify to me why it sounds so off the wall......no reading this w/out some input! 2. What else? I was asking about what does it mean to have deeper relationship w/ God. So everyone said ya that's a good thing to desire. Here's my thought. You either have a relationship w/ God or you don't. So then who decides if it's a deeper relationship than....see how can you know? Can you compare? That won't work because God doesn't work like that....putting us on brackets of who is most spiritual. The only way you can use the term in having a deeper relationship w/ Go...

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.