Skip to main content

Busyness Part 1

    We all know what busyness is and how we feel when we hear the word.  I would bet a person who is lonely and had an appetite for busyness their entire life feels fondly for the word.  Where as a person who is overwhelmed and exhausted knows keenly what the word means to her and her feelings probably aren't fond.
    So I've been looking at the subject of busyness for quite awhile.  In fact I found in my research that there are many many many books and blogposts and bible stories and personal experiences to read up on. Evidently busyness is an epidemic.
    So how do we get back to feeling a fondness for busyness?  Or maybe lets ask when did Busyness become an epidemic and why did it become an epidemic?
      Americans are afflicted with this epidemic worse than other countries.  Supposedly the Danes know how to do schedules without the busyness complex.  They take time for tea.  Children aren't given the most attention and all the attention.  Supposedly they don't suffer the mom guilt where they feel they need to make sure their children get all the opportunity available.
    Be that as it may be here are a few fun proof facts that we are too busy as Americans:
  Hectic. Crazy. On the run. Way too fast. Time races past.  Time flies. All words we use often.  When asked how we're doing?  We reply with, "Busy"  How was your weekend? " Busy".  grammatically correct anymore.  Or kind.
     Other examples of busyness of too busy:  One lady in Fargo ND did some digging and started to collect Christmas letters over a several year time span.  She found that in reading these letters that people were almost counting their busyness as a status quo.  Being busy seemed to make people feel productive or important. Busyness had almost became a competition. And if you're not as busy as the Jones, well then, you better get cracking!   It's called living in Fast Forward.  We're in such a rush that in 1968 a presidential candidate soundbite was 40 seconds and in 2000 we had it down to 7.3.
    So are we happier as Busy people?  Are we calmer?  How are we handling this busyness? What about as moms and women in today's society?  How are we doing?
    Did you ever hear of Busy Mom Syndrome?   What is it?  Is it real?  Do bring it on ourselves?  In some ways I think we do.  Think.  What do we worry about or put through our brain every day.  Every single day we know where our kids are.  We know what they like to eat, we know what kinds of emotions they're dealing with.  We keep track of their space and clothes.  And then we have the house.  And then we have the husband.  And then we have our community.  And then some of us hold jobs.  Are we not overwhelmed?  Is the solution to just stop the world so we can get off?  Or What does our  capable and awesome Father in Heaven have to say about all this?
     Okay, do you feel kind of stressed and feel a headache coming on?  Lets step back and breath a little.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Keagan

Keagan turned three while we were in Idaho. So we made a cake and celebrated with the Skrivseth cousins this year. He was enthralled watching me make the cake. Had to have his little hand on that hat! gazing in adoration at it. Just about ready to blow those candles. He kept telling me that we couldn't sing Happy Birthday though. He's easily embarrassed! Silly guy! I rather like my little three year.

Forgiveness

 Forgiveness  Forgiveness has bones It has a brain It uses logic  And common sense  Forgiveness goes about Finding a common ground. It shows up in common places. It happens unsuspected. Forgiveness allows one to Name the thing that happened. Forgiveness gives one a way To see it for what it was. Forgiveness provides for the  Empty spaces in conversation  And allows one to listen  And grieve outside of one’s own experience. Forgiveness walks into a situation  And remembers. But walks with peace And knows calmness. Forgiveness has an earpiece  On the heart  And a microphone  At his mouth Saying the words that Forgiveness has given him. Forgiveness doesn’t walk with fear. Forgiveness looks alone. But He’s always always  Hand in hand with gentleness and kindness. Forgiveness can stand alone though. It doesn’t melt away or dissipate  With time. Forgiveness is that little happy wren  On your shoulder  Forgiveness sings...

Let me tell you how God answers prayer

      Did I ever write on here that I am teaching school at our little church school?  I absolutely love it and find that it's been a neat way to feel useful and invest in our bubble.  But I am requiring my kids to tell stories and write them and read them.  And right now they are in a four week story writing assignment and I began to wonder what I thought I was doing requiring something of them that I am not really proficient at nor am I very knowledgable about.       So for my story to write  let me tell you a little bit about how God answers prayer.  Sometime I feel like I should write Jeanie's whole story.  But not this time.             Jeanie's been having focal seizures.  We don't know when they started.  All we know is that we were advised to go get her growing pain/ leg cramps looked into and it started the beginning of many tests of which we still aren't done with....